The Cleaver Caster
Matthew and I spent the morning preparing the neck for the Cleaver Caster electric guitar. We were in great hands from a local expert who helped us through the process of drilling out the holes for the tuning machines and cutting out the headstock. I am really proud of Matthew. He did almost all of the work on his own.
Here is what the neck looked like on the operating table.
I had sourced a full scale set of drawings for a Telecaster guitar and we used a diagram to trace the headstock as well as place the holes for the tuning machines.
Matthew traced out the headstock and punched the centreline for the holes. He then used a drill press to make the holes using the centreline punches as his guide.
From there it was time to cut the headstock. Andrew walked through the process with Matthew and then showed him how to make the cuts using some old wood.
Now it was time to cut the headstock for real.
With the headstock cut out in rough, Matthew moved over to the sanding station to fine-tune the cut.
After an hour or so of sanding, the headstock was ready for the next stage of the project. More details to follow as we build this guitar over the next few weeks.
Excellent beginning of this journey! Already looks like the neck/headstock came from the Fender Custom Shop. Way to go Matthew!
Keep us posted.
That looks really sharp! What a fun experience. It looks like Matthew’s a pro in the shop. 😉
That’s awesome to be getting some shop experience! If he ends up in engineering, he can show all the other first-years how to use the band saw and drill press. 🙂
And I most likely will become an engineer 🙂