InformationWeek had an interesting article on six steps to secure your home network. You can find the article here.
The six steps?
- Hide Your SSID: Don’t let service set identifiers advertise your network
- Use Encryption: Protect your data from random passers-by
- Filter Out MAC Addresses: Tell your router who’s OK and who’s not
- Limit IP Addresses: Hackers can’t log on if there’s no room
- Sniff Out Intruders: Free software can make it happen
- Use Firewalls: Every PC gets one
I have done the first two steps and I have a couple of the machines with local firewalls up and running. Looks like I have more work to do to ensure a secured network environment at home.